Tuesday 10 September 2013

Easy vegie fritters

I had a hankering for some vegie fritters the other day so I thought I'd throw together some for lunch and take the rest for dinner at work.  We were out of creamed corn so I had to take inspiration from the vegies in the fridge.  Sweet potato and pumpkin were the obvious winners. We've still got a few extra eggs even though we've been giving some to the neighbours for their growing boys so it was a good opportunity to use up a couple.  The Colliwat pumpkins are still in abundance too so this helped get through some.

Five fabulous fresh flavoursome fritters...and what's left of number six.
Here's a rough guide to the recipe which makes approximately 10 (although I wasn't really counting because I ate them as I cooked):

Ingredients
1 finely chopped spring onion (bulb and green bits)
~1cup grated sweet potato
~1/2-1 cup grated pumpkin
2 eggs
~1/2 cup wholemeal flour or gluten free flour if needed
Spice and/or herbs of your choice - cumin combines well with anything in my books but I was in a hurry so some curry powder did the trick
Some cheese might also make them a little more filling - try ricotta or feta

Method
Combine the ingredients except the flour in a bowl, then sprinkle the flour over the top and mix in until you get the right consistency.  Add enough flour so that the mixture isn't too wet.

Place spoonfuls in a hot pan and flatten with a spatula.  Turn once when brown.  Remove from pan and place on absorbent paper long enough that you don't burn your fingers when you pick them up to eat.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for trying them out Jeni. Fritters are starting to become a lunch staple for me - especially because I can take the left-overs to work with me. I haven't tried it yet but I reckon they'd be good as a burger patty too.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment or question, they will be published as soon as possible after review to avoid spam. This usually takes less than a day.